skip to main content

Former Alice Springs Telegraph Repeater Station and Post Office.

Alice Springs Darwin Katherine Ulu r u Kings Canyon

The former Alice Springs Repeater Station and Post Office, built in 1931, are of cultural significance to the NT because they are associated with the period of growth arising from the implementation of the North Australia Act: Stuart was designated as the administrative capital of Central Australia in 1927; and the railway arrived in in 1929.

Construction of new postal and telegraph facilities in the central business district was an important part of the town's ability to function as the new capital and service centre for the region.

The buildings demonstrate the principal architectural characteristics of other government buildings of this period in Alice Springs and make a significant contribution to the streetscape.

Alterations and additions over the years reflect technological changes in telecommunications. Construction of the Former Repeater Station and Post Office was the impetus for officially changing the name of the town from Stuart to Alice Springs in 1933.

  • Informazioni

    Attività

    • Historical Sites and Heritage Locations

    Strutture

    • Carpark

    Attività

    • Walk

    Accessibilità

    Caters for people with sufficient mobility to climb a few steps but who would benefit from fixtures to aid balance. (This includes people using walking frames and mobility aids)

  • Mappa

    Mappa

    Nelle vicinanze

    Nelle vicinanze

    Esplora il Northern Territory
    Percorsi stradali Tratte aeree

Offerte viaggi