The former Alice Springs Repeater Station and Post Office, built in 1931, are of cultural significance to the NT because they are associated with the period of growth arising from the implementation of the North Australia Act: Stuart was designated as the administrative capital of Central Australia in 1927; and the railway arrived in in 1929.
Construction of new postal and telegraph facilities in the central business district was an important part of the town's ability to function as the new capital and service centre for the region.
The buildings demonstrate the principal architectural characteristics of other government buildings of this period in Alice Springs and make a significant contribution to the streetscape.
Alterations and additions over the years reflect technological changes in telecommunications. Construction of the Former Repeater Station and Post Office was the impetus for officially changing the name of the town from Stuart to Alice Springs in 1933.
Due to current health advice on social distancing, please contact the business for the most up to date information regarding opening times and services.