skip to main content

Pine Creek Post Office and Repeater Station

Alice Springs Darwin Katherine Ulu r u Kings Canyon

This is a pre-fabricated steel frame building that was originally erected at the goldmining township of Burrundie before being move to Pine Creek.

The building, now referred to as the 'repeater station', was originally erected at Burrundie as the Chief Mining Warden's quarters. Completed in 1889, it served as accommodation and office space for the Burrundie Mining Warden until 1905 when the position was transferred to Pine Creek. The building at Burrundie was then used by the Assistant Warden, Mines Department. In 1913 it was dismantled and transferred to Pine Creek as the quarters for Chief Mining Warden E.C. Playford. Several buildings were transported to Pine Creek from other locations as the mining economy shifted. When the position of Chief Mining Warden was transferred to Darwin the building reverted to Assistant Mining Warden, John Niemann who was also the local Chemist. Over time, the building has been a Doctor's residence, clinic, staff quarters for the Pine Creek half-caste home, hospital, military communications centre, and Post Office during World War II. After the war, the building remained in use as a Post Office and residence and in the 1970s an automatic telephone exchange was installed. The building has had a number of local identities associated with it, including Edward Copley Playford, Dr Clyde Fenton and John Niemann.

  • インフォメーション

    Activities

    • Historical Sites and Heritage Locations

    Activities

    • Scenic Drives
    • Walk

    アクセスについて

    Suitable for guests with sufficient mobility to climb two or three steps, but would benefit from fixtures and fittings to aid balance.

  • Map

    Map

    近くに何があるのか?

    What's nearby

    NTをサーチする
    ドライブルートフライトルート

連絡する

ノーザンテリトリー政府観光局から最新情報、お買い得情報、旅行情報を受け取る