skip to main content

Gardens Road Cemetery

Alice Springs Darwin Katherine Ulu r u Kings Canyon

Gardens Cemetery was opened in 1919 after the closure of Palmerston Cemetery on Goyder Road and was Darwin's main cemetery up until 1970.

There are many different types of graves, headstones and epitaphs, and Darwin City Council's records list over 1,200 graves. Many notable people from a period of rapid development in Darwin (1920s-1970s) are buried in the cemetery. Many of the memorials indicate ethnic origins, family associations, and circumstances of death and thus comprise an important record of Darwin's community spanning more than six decades. Cultural groups represented in the cemetery include Greeks, Chinese, Japanese, Filipinos, Thursday Islanders as well as Australians of British descent. A number of graves of returned servicemen were moved to Adelaide River for reburial at the Adelaide River War Memorial Cemetery in 1944. Gardens Cemetery was succeeded in 1970 by the McMillans Road Cemetery, though a small number of burials have continued to take place at Gardens Cemetery.

  • Informazioni

    Attività

    • Historical Sites and Heritage Locations

    Costo d’ingresso

    Ingresso gratuito

    Strutture

    • Carpark
    • Picnic Area

    Attività

    • Walk

    Accessibilità

    Caters for people with sufficient mobility to climb a few steps but who would benefit from fixtures to aid balance. (This includes people using walking frames and mobility aids) Caters for people who are deaf or have hearing loss. Caters for people who are blind or have vision loss.

  • Mappa

    Mappa

    Nelle vicinanze

    Nelle vicinanze

    Esplora il Northern Territory
    Percorsi stradaliTratte aeree

Offerte viaggi