The first stage of the Old Hartley Street School comprised two classrooms in a rectangular-shaped building constructed in 1930.
Construction was of blockwork walls on a concrete slab, with sawn-timber roof framing and corrugated galvanised iron roof sheeting.
In 1945, the building was extended to the north with an octagonal-shaped kindergarten room and an additional classroom. These additions were made using a patterned concrete block matching several other institutional buildings in the town, such as the Post Office.
Today the building’s 1945 extension houses the Hartley Street School Museum, whilst the original classrooms are leased out as offices.