The Adelaide River Railway Siding and Railway Bridge were constructed as part of the first leg of the North Australia Railway (NAR) which operated from 1888 until 1976.
The bridge was one of the first to be constructed on the Palmerston to Pine Creek line and was one of the largest along this section of work. Constructed in 1887-88 the bridge was first crossed on 3 December 1888 by the Silverton. In 1941-42 the bridge was fitted with timber decking to allow single lane vehicular access during Wet Season floodiing. It was further upgraded in 1952. The last train crossed the bridge on 30 June 1976, but it was used for road traffic until the Edwin Verburg Bridge was opened on 27 March 1980.
The Railway Siding was the first main station complex on the North Australia Railway from Darwin to Pine Creek and had the only refreshment room on the line. During World War II it was of major significance because Adelaide River was a major military centre with the main hospital situated north of the township along with a number of Australian and Allied bases in the area.