Skip to main content

Hi there, would you like to view this page on our USA site?

Yes, switch sites
Car driving Central Arnhem Road

Passes & permits in the Northern Territory

If you’re visiting national parks and reserves in the Northern Territory, you might need a park pass, which can be booked online. And if you want to travel through or visit Aboriginal lands and waters, you’ll need a permit.

Park passes

Park passes apply to most national parks and reserves in the Northern Territory.

If you’ve booked a guided tour, your park pass might be included in the tour price. We suggest checking with the tour operator if you’re unsure.

Passes for Kakadu National Park

To visit Kakadu National Park you’ll need a Kakadu Park Pass, which you can purchase online before your trip. You can also purchase passes from various locations within the park. Pricing varies based on the time of year you visit. NT residents can get Kakadu park passes for free.

Passes for Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park

To visit Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park you'll need to purchase a separate Uluru-Kata Tjuta park visitor pass . You can purchase these passes online from Parks Australia, or at the entry station on your way into the park. Vehicle passes for NT residents and annual passes are also available. Children under the age of 18 can enter free of charge.

Other parks & reserves

Visitors from interstate and overseas require an NT Parks Pass to access most other parks and reserves in the Territory.

The NT Parks Pass doesnt apply to Kakadu National Park or Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park. Passes for Kakadu National Park and Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park need to be purchased from Parks Australia.

Explore national parks by region


Land permits

In general, you require a permit when visiting or travelling through Aboriginal lands and waters in the Northern Territory. We ask you to respect Country by always checking ahead with the relevant authority whether there are permit requirements.

If you’ve booked an Aboriginal cultural tour, the permit is often included in the purchase price. Check with the tour operator before arriving if you’re unsure.

How to organise a visitor permit in the NT

Plan ahead – some permits can take at least 10 days to process an application, other permits you can complete online.

When visiting Kakadu National Park or Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, you may require a permit for special activities such as drone use, commercial filming and photography or research.

Permits for other regions across the Territory can be organised directly through the respective land councils.

Northern Territory land councils

  • Apply for online permits in the Top End from the Northern Land Council (not including the Tiwi Islands or Groote Eylandt)
  • The Tiwi Land Council manages visitor permits for the Tiwi Islands (Bathurst Island and Melville Island)
  • Contact the Anindilyakwa Land Council to apply for Groote Eylandt permits
  • Dhimurru access permits – Dhimurru is an incorporated Aboriginal organisation established by Yolngu land-owners in Northeast Arnhem Land. The office is located in Nhulunbuy (Gove). All visitors to the Recreational Areas must obtain a permit from Dhimurru before they go
  • Apply for online permits with the Central Land Council for permission to enter Aboriginal lands in the Red Centre (south of Tennant Creek).

Please be mindful that at times, due to sorry business or for other cultural reasons, areas may be temporarily closed.

We ask that you respect the wishes of the Traditional Owners and only visit the designated areas you have permission to enter. This is also for the protection and safety of the unique flora and fauna on Country.



Sign up to receive the latest news, deals and travel information about the Northern Territory. Data privacy