Skip to main content

Hi there, would you like to view this page on our USA site?

Yes, switch sites
Car driving Central Arnhem Road

Visitor permits

When visiting or travelling through Aboriginal lands and waters in the Northern Territory, you require a permit.

We ask you to respect Country when visiting the Northern Territory by always checking ahead with the relevant land council whether there are permit requirements.

If you've booked an Aboriginal cultural tour – the permit is often included in the ticket. Check with the tour operator before arriving if you're unsure if it's covered.

How to organise a visitor permit in the NT

Plan ahead – some permits can take at least 10 days to process an application, other permits you can complete quickly and easily online.

Northern Territory land councils

  • Apply for online permits in the Top End from the Northern Land Council (not including the Tiwi Islands or Groote Eylandt).

  • The Tiwi Land Council manages visitor permits for the Tiwi Islands (Bathurst Island and Melville Island).

  • Contact the Anindilyakwa Land Council to apply for Groote Eylandt permits.

  • Dhimurru access permits – Dhimurru is an incorporated Aboriginal organisation established by Yolngu land-owners in Northeast Arnhem Land. The office is located in Nhulunbuy (Gove). All visitors to the Recreational Areas must obtain a permit from Dhimurru before they go.

  • Apply for online permits with the Central Land Council for permission to enter Aboriginal lands in the Red Centre (south of Tennant Creek).

Please be mindful that at times, due to sorry business or for other cultural reasons, areas may be temporarily closed. We ask that you respect the wishes of the Traditional Owners and only visit the designated areas you have permission to enter.

This is also for the protection and safety of the unique flora and fauna on Country.