Hi there, would you like to view this page on our USA site?

Visa and passports


If you’re visiting the Northern Territory from overseas, get details on obtaining a tourist or working holiday visa prior to arrival in Australia.

All travellers to Australia, except Australian passport holders, are required to obtain a visa for travel to Australia. New Zealand passport holders can obtain an electronic visa on arrival; visitors with passports from all other countries must obtain a visa prior to arrival in Australia.

Visa options for tourists

There a number of options available to tourists, including the Tourist Visa, as well as the ETA (Visitor) and eVisitor, which are electronically stored visas. The ETA (Visitor) and eVisitor allow a stay of up to 3 months, whereas the Tourist Visa can permit a stay of up to 3, 6 or 12 months. The ETA and eVisitor can be applied for online, and applications for the Tourist Visa can be made through Australian embassies, consulates, high commissions as well as online.

Working holiday visas

Working holiday visas grant young people, between the ages of 18 and 30, an extended holiday in Australia supplemented by short-term work. Visitors on this visa can usually stay up to 12 months and during that stay, work for up to six months for any one employer and study for up to four months.

Customs & quarantine

All visitors are given immigration and customs forms to complete upon arrival in Australia. To protect its unique flora and fauna, Australia has strict customs and quarantine laws and requires you to declare certain goods, including food and animal products, at the border. For details, visit the Australian Customs website before you fly.

Further information



Sign up to receive the latest news, deals and travel information about the Northern Territory. Data privacy