The Ghanrail journey
Known as one of the world’s greatest rail journeys, The Ghan travels through the middle of Australia, visiting some of the NT’s best destinations along the way.
Choose The Ghan for an immersive ‘top-to-toe’ view of Australia. Start or finish in Adelaide, South Australia, and ride right up to Darwin in the Northern Territory through Central Australia, with the ever-changing scenery unfolding out your window.
At almost 3,000km, this legendary rail journey tracks through the heart of Australia. It’s named for the Afghan cameleers who once took cargo by camel along the same route more than 150 years ago.
Choose your journey
- The Ghan Expedition: Darwin to Adelaide is a three night, four day journey via Katherine and Alice Springs, exploring the wonders of Australia’s vast interior. One way: 2,979km.
- The Ghan: Adelaide to Darwin (or vice versa) is a two night, three day journey through the heart of Australia, via Katherine and Alice Springs. One way: 2,979km.
- Darwin to Alice Springs (or vice versa) is a one night, two day adventure via Katherine, weaving your way through the Top End’s wet and wild landscapes. One way: 1,420km.
- Adelaide to Alice Springs (or vice versa) is one a night, two day journey from the deep green pastures of South Australia to rich red outback splendour. One way: 1,559km.
Then choose your level of luxury:
- Platinum Service includes your own spacious cabin with full-size ensuite and private lounge with picture windows by day and double or twin beds by night.
- In Gold Twin Service, your comfortable sleeper cabin with ensuite and upper and lower berths converts to a three-seater lounge by day.
- In Gold Single Service, your compact sleeper cabin bed converts to a seat by day, with a shared bathroom in the carriage.
- Gold and Platinum Service both include all meals, alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, Off-Train Experiences and short stops.
Eat like a king
When travelling in Gold Service, the Queen Adelaide Restaurant serves a seasonal menu prepared by on-board chefs using fresh local ingredients and includes breakfast, two-course lunches and three-course dinners.
If travelling in Platinum Service you will dine in the Platinum Club, exclusive to Platinum guests, where you will enjoy full or continental breakfasts, sumptuous lunches and a-la-carte dinners.
Vegetarian, children’s and some special dietary meals are available upon request.
Go off the rails
Break up the journey with Off Train Experiences along the way (included in your fare), with options in and around Katherine, Alice Springs and Coober Pedy.
Optional upgrades include a scenic flight to Uluru, helicopter flights at Nitmiluk Gorge or Alice Springs, or a camel ride.