Knott’s Crossing, Katherine
Established in the early 1870s, the original township consisted of a shanty pub and the Overland Telegraph Line Repeater Station.
By 1888, the township had grown to include a hotel, general store and police station as well as the Overland Telegraph Line Repeater Station.
In 1916, under government policy of restricting the supply of liquor in the NT, the hotel at Knott’s Crossing lost its licence and the general store granted a ‘gallon licence’. The Gallon Licence Store operated until 1942 when Katherine was bombed during World War II. A bomb fell in the vicinity and killed one person. Its crater remains today.
The Crossing was named after Frederick George Knott and his wife Kate who were the first people to farm the north side of the river. They ran the Gallon Licence Store from 1927 until 1935. After George’s death, Kate ran the store from 1935 until 1948.
Three boab trees, which are over 100 years old, were planted by Tom Pearce with seeds from Bradshaw’s Run. This site has the primary heritage value and the associated physical elements contribute to make this place of major social significance to the Katherine region and the Northern Territory generally.
- Picnic Area
Caters for people with sufficient mobility to climb a few steps but who would benefit from fixtures to aid balance. (This includes people using walking frames and mobility aids) Caters for people who are deaf or have hearing loss. Caters for people who are blind or have vision loss.
Travel deals & offers
Uluru Lights & Heli Adventure
4 nights from $1,299pp twin share*
Was $1,537pp twin share, save 15%*
Top End Natural Highlights Eco Adventure
4 nights from $769pp twin share*
Was $921pp twin share, save 17%*
Darwin Sights & More
7 nights from $899pp twin share*
Was $1,410pp twin share, save 36%*