The Railway Precinct comprises the 1889 Railway Station; a parcel store adjacent to the railway station; a goods store opposite the railway station building.
Learn about the importance of a rail link to the mining boom of the late 19th century and the towns along its route at the Pine Creek Railway Precinct.
The precinct comprises the railway station building, Stationmaster's house and Miners' park. Originally the end of the line of the uncompleted 19th century transcontinental railway system, Pine Creek railway enabled companies to transport machinery and equipment to the minefields easier than had been possible previously.
The railway was eventually extended to Katherine. During World War II Pine Creek was one of the four dispersal bases on the North Australian Railway. Today you will see one of the original Beyer Peacock locomotives on display.
At the Miners' Park the link between the railway and the mining industry is explained. Mining machinery and technology from mines that are no longer in existence are on display. The park contains information about the mining past of Pine Creek from the early Chinese miners to current gold extraction.
Please note that while entry to the precinct is free, an entry fee applies to the railway station. The Railway Station is open (May to September) for public inspection.