Spencer Hill has important cultural and spiritual associations for the Arrernte people and is known to them as Tyuretye.
The WWII sites at Spencer Hill consist of a detention compound site, a magazine store site, a vehicle maintenance site, a kitchen site, a power station site and a number of concrete slabs.
The former World War II sites around the base of and to the east of Spencer Hill collectively form one of the very few remaining military sites and one of only two associated with with the military convoys in the Alice Springs area.
Established from April 1942, they were a direct response to a strategic requirement to supply Darwin and the Top End of the Northern Territory during World War II.
They are a significant part of Alice Springs and regional heritage.
Due to current health advice on social distancing, please contact the business for the most up to date information regarding opening times and services.