Skip to main content
Friends having a drink at Glen Helen Gorge

Purchasing and drinking alcohol

Note that restrictions apply to the purchase and public consumption of alcohol in the Northern Territory, but not to licensed restaurants, hotels or clubs.

Buying takeaway alcohol

Local restrictions affect trading hours and the sale of some products at bottle shops. In some areas, including Alice Springs, the sale of takeaway alcohol is not permitted on a Monday or Tuesday, and Tennant Creek on a Sunday. In Alice Springs, Tennant Creek and Katherine, the hours available for the sale of takeaway alcohol are limited and throughout the Territory there are volume limitations on the purchase of cask and fortified wines, and other liquor products.

Further information on the restrictions in each area may be found at

Banned Drinker Register

To buy takeaway alcohol anywhere in the Northern Territory, you need approved photo ID. You need to show one of these: Australian or most international driver's licences or passports.

For more information call 1800 BDR 226 or visit

Drinking in public places

Drinking in public is not permitted in Alice Springs, Tennant Creek, Katherine, and some parts of Darwin. Across the Northern Territory, drinking is not permitted within 2km of any licensed premises.

Drinking in remote communities

Generally, takeaway alcohol is not permitted in remote Indigenous communities. In some regions a permit is required to buy alcohol.



Sign up to receive the latest news, deals and travel information about the Northern Territory. Data privacy