Government House, Darwin
Government House was the first ‘grand’ public building constructed in Darwin after white settlement in 1869 and is symbolic of the NT’s constitutional development.
Originally known as ‘the Residency’, the House’s drawing room was constructed from 1870 and is the oldest surviving continuously occupied built structural element in the NT. It demonstrates construction techniques adapted to the Darwin environment. The scale and design reinforce the importance of the office of Government Resident or Administrator.
The 1879 J.G. Knight and G.R. McMinn stone building, incorporating the circa 1938 verandah, represents the varied architectural influences that have characterized the NT from its inception.
The Government House verandah served as the earliest ‘court room’ in Darwin. The building has associations with many significant events (e.g. cyclones, the ‘Darwin Rebellion’, World War II, the Petrov Affair, constitutional milestones, etc.) in the history of the NT. It has close associations with many individuals who have made notable contributions to NT history and with dignitaries whose visits to the House were historic.
The Government House garden, including such structural features as driveways and remnants of pathways, contains evidence of past patterns of landscape development in the Darwin environment, including lack of reticulation.
Travel deals & offers
Darwin Sights & More
7 nights from $899pp twin share*
Was $1,410pp twin share, save 36%*
Uluru Lights & Heli Adventure
4 nights from $1,299pp twin share*
Was $1,537pp twin share, save 15%*
Top End Natural Highlights Eco Adventure
4 nights from $769pp twin share*
Was $921pp twin share, save 17%*