Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve
The Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve preserves the original stone buildings of The Telegraph Station, which have been restored with furnishings and artefacts from the early 1900s.
Visit the historic precinct to wander through the grounds and buildings and use the special franking stamp to post a letter at the post office.
Set against the magnificent MacDonnell Ranges, the reserve is also a popular place for a walk, picnic and watching wildlife. Remote trails are popular with mountain bike enthusiasts.
The Alice Springs Telegraph Station is the best preserved of the 12 stations along the Overland Telegraph Line, which was established in 1872 to relay messages between Darwin and Adelaide.
The reserve marks the original site of the Alice Springs settlement, which took its name after the waterhole a short distance to the east of the station. The Station operated for 60 years, then served as a school for Aboriginal children.
Located 4 kilometres north of Alice Springs, the reserve is accessible by two-wheel drive vehicle. There's a shared walking and cycling track into the reserve from the Stuart Highway and the Todd River. Entry to the reserve is free but an entry fee applies to the historic precinct.
Daily from 8am - 9pm
Indicative Prices tickets from $6.75 to $16.10
Entry fees apply to Heritage precinct. Children under 6 are free.
- Coach Parking
- Enquiry Desk
- Family Friendly
- Lawn / Gardens
- Picnic Area
- Public Toilet
- Shop / Gift Shop
- Mountain Biking
Disabled access available, contact operator for details.
- COVID Safe
- Quality Tourism Accreditation