The Strauss cricket pitch was an important part of the activities of service personnel in the area during the war years and in recent years is used for annual matches between military and local teams on Anzac Day.
This continuity in use maintains the significance of the site as an important part of the Territory's wartime heritage.
Built in late 1942 by members of the 27 Australian Infantry Battalion, the cricket pitch was developed as one of a number of recreational venues in the area of the airfields and military camps south of Darwin near Firdan (Noonamah) in World War II, along with the convalescent centres at Berry Springs, Howard Springs and other sites.
Recreational facilities such as the Strauss cricket pitch were also a means of making contributions to wartime fund raising efforts for the Australian Comforts Fund, Red Cross, Salvation Army and others.
Due to current health advice on social distancing, please contact the business for the most up to date information regarding opening times and services.