Wurrumiyanga Catholic Church Precinct, Bathurst Island
The Catholic Church precinct at Nguiu (now Wurrumiyanga), was established as the Bathurst Island Mission by Bishop Francis Xavier Gsell MSC in 1940.
The Church Precinct comprises St Therese’s Church, the nearby Presbytery, and a small radio shack. The buildings are all timber frame construction with timber weatherboard external cladding reminiscent of Queensland domestic architecture. The buildings date from 1941 and were constructed by Peter De Hayr and Tiwi workmen.