Wurrumiyanga Catholic Church Precinct, Bathurst Island
The Catholic Church precinct at Nguiu (now Wurrumiyanga), was established as the Bathurst Island Mission by Bishop Francis Xavier Gsell MSC in 1940.
The Church Precinct comprises St Therese’s Church, the nearby Presbytery, and a small radio shack. The buildings are all timber frame construction with timber weatherboard external cladding reminiscent of Queensland domestic architecture. The buildings date from 1941 and were constructed by Peter De Hayr and Tiwi workmen.
- Picnic Area
Caters for people with sufficient mobility to climb a few steps but who would benefit from fixtures to aid balance. (This includes people using walking frames and mobility aids) Caters for people who are deaf or have hearing loss. Caters for people who are blind or have vision loss.
Travel deals & offers
Australia’s Red Centre; Uluru, Kings Canyon & Kata Tjuta
14 nights from £3,639 per person
Fly from London Heathrow to Darwin from £1,064
Darwin round trip
9 nights from £1,449 per person
Darwin, Alice springs, Adelaide, Kangaroo Island & Barossa Valley
11 nights from £4,599 per person