Hughes Avenue, incorporating the lime kiln walk, is historically significant as one of the first roadways established in Darwin.
From 1869, Hughes Avenue served as the main pedestrian and transport corridors between Goyder's Camp and the port below, and the town of Palmerston with newly established government buildings on the escarpment on the plateau above. The Hughes Avenue alignment was used to transport goods from the jetty area to the growing city above until completion of Stokes Hill Wharf in 1887. The current alignment of Hughes Avenue is virtually identical to that established by Goyder and his party. Beginning opposite the Courthouse and Police Station (Administrator's Offices) at the end of Smith Street, the descent along Hughes Avenue provides views of Government House on the hill above and vistas of the port and harbour below. These provide an insight into the daily activity experienced by Goyder and the first Europeans who landed in Port Darwin in February 1869.
Due to current health advice on social distancing, please contact the business for the most up to date information regarding opening times and services.