WWII Hunter House
Hunter House was built in 1942 as an Army Officer's Mess.
This building demonstrates and exemplifies the style of building used by Defence Force personnel in the more established areas in the Northern Territory during World War II. The original building was described as a timber framed ground level dwelling clad with corrugated galvanised iron (CGI) and constructed on a concrete slab floor. It had CGI shutters, a bark panelled ceiling with homemade ceiling fans. The termite resistant timber (Leichhardt pine) has helped to preserve the structural soundness of the building. In 2004 Hunter House underwent a major restoration project, returning it to its original condition and ensuring its continued use in the community.
Travel deals & offers
Red Centre Highlights: Alice Springs, Kings Canyon & Uluru
4 nights from £1,140* per person
including sunset & sunrise experiences at Uluru
Northern Territory Lights
7 day self drive from £1,485* per person
Red Centre light installations
Top End Explorer: Kakadu, Nitmiluk & Arnhem Land
6 nights from £1,169* per person
Includes Yellow Water Cruise & Arnhem Land Tour