The Heenan Building is important for its historical and social associations with FBC (Mick) Heenan who was the first commercial market gardener and poultry farmer in the area.
Initially used to house Heenan's café and fruit and vegetable store, the building has since been used as office space by various government and commercial enterprises. The changes in business tenants, together with changes to the building itself, reflect the economic growth and diversification of businesses in Alice Springs since the 1950s. Designed by noted Territory architect B. C. G. Burnett, the building is important as one of the earliest examples of a `modernist' building in Alice Springs. It retains a number of original 1949 features including most of the original exterior blockwork walls and cantilevered awning over the footpath while the 1958 additions remain relatively intact. Its clean lines and simple decorative motifs on the façade contribute significantly to the Gregory Terrace streetscape.
Due to current health advice on social distancing, please contact the business for the most up to date information regarding opening times and services.