This is a steel and concrete interpretive memorial to the Leprosarium that was constructed near the site.
Directional signage appears on Berrimah Road and at Channel Point. The Leprosarium on Channel Island began life as a Quarantine Station, initially declared by the Government Secretary in 1884. All incoming shipping had to report to the Quarantine Station for screening before they were cleared to anchor in Port Darwin. Patients suffering from small-pox and leprosy were quarantined at Channel Island - initially without any shelter or amenities. Over time, buildings were constructed, another Quarantine Station was established at East Arm and Channel Island became an isolation site for those suffering from Leprosy.